The Acoustic, the Digital and the Body: A Survey on Musical Instruments — a paper by Thor Magnusson and Enrike Hurtado Mendieta, presenting the results of their survey on people’s relationship with their instrument, from the NIME 2007 conference. The survey focused on the question of embodiment and its different modalities in the fields of acoustic and digital instruments.
The paper and slides from the Panel Session: The Need of Formats for Streaming and Storing Music-Related Movement and Gesture Data, 2007 International Computer Music Conference, Copenhagen provides a good overvie of the following topics —
- Motion Capture Formats
- Movement-related Markup Languages
- Gesture Motion Signal (GMS) format
- Gesture Description Interchange File Format (GDIF)
- Performance Markup Language (PML)
- Sound Description Interchange Format (SDIF)
- Motion capture systems
- MIDI devices
- Commercial controllers
- Custom made instruments and devices
Designing musical instruments that performers can handle – what is the sound of a waving hand – Axel Mulder’s list of musical instruments, sensors and related research.